Monday, October 17, 2011

Fed up


from c. kent c_kent22@yahoo.com
reply-to c. kent c_kent22@yahoo.com
to supergirl <supergirl91@gmail.com>
date Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM
subject fed up
mailed-by yahoo.com
signed-by yahoo.com

I know I rarely write you, and I know it's not easy for you to relate now that you've hung up your towel, but I think I've hit the end of my rope. Last night, for example, I was having a few drinks at Enrico's (the bar where we used to meet) and the couple next to me was talking about the latest hulk movie. Can you believe that? I spend my life dedicated to helping those in need, and I'm a forgotten novelty - I'm no better than a slinkee or a damned chia-pet. And to think, the hulk! I really can't believe people anymore. If there was one time we needed a little assistance in this city, and the idiots hand over millions to watch this destructive buffoon tear skyscrapers from the concrete.

I should ask, how have you been? I heard you were waitressing at a restaurant in Arizona. How's that going for you?

I haven't lifted a finger for years. Thank god for unemployment. I just get so bored sometimes. I got a dog. I take him on walks through central park. He likes to chase the leaves around, and he barks too much, but he's really the best thing that's happened to me in a while. Sometimes I get an urge to throw on the old wardrobe, but first of all, I look like a fool in the damned thing. I'll just come out and say it - I've put on a few pounds. I look like an overripe tomato. And now that my hair is gone, I don't really look the part. It's depressing, but the pills I got from my shrink are working pretty good.

What is a person like me supposed to do at this point in my life? What hurts me the most is knowing how much I'm needed these days. But ever since we lost our insurance and the government cracked down on us it's been nearly impossible to save lives anyhow. And people are different. Have you noticed that? They don't even want super heroes anymore. It's all about the average joe stepping out from behind the counter to save the lives of hundreds. Or a young, off-duty firefighter tackling a robber from behind. The last time I wore my suit out in public, get this, the guy I was disarming laughed. He said, "Who sent the super-queer?"

Unbelievable, right? Anyhow, I hope you get back to me. I know it's been a while, but I've been thinking about you.

Take care,
C.K.


For the Indie Ink Writing Challenge this week, Lance challenged me with "Write 500 words from the point of view of a stressed-out, put upon, fed up super hero." and I challenged Head Ant with "Write a story that begins with, "Everything looked so much smaller..."


1 comment:

  1. I had the dad from the Invincibles in my mind while reading this. It is a letter I would believe he would write. Great take on your prompt, it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete